Thursday, June 24, 2010

Oh so tasty and easy to make French Fries

Hot, made in the kitchen, french fries were calling my name the other day. So I answered the call and challenge myself to try something new! I had never made french fries from scratch before but I figured it couldn't be too hard.Right? Well it wasn't, but I will tell you what mistake I made so you don't have to make the same.

Ingredients

2 medium size potatoes
Ranch seasoning
Candy/Frying thermometer 
 Oil that is for high heat 
Deep sided pan
Metal Spatula  
Salt
Lots of paper towels



Cut your potatoes vertical and in as even as you can get pieces



From your vertical slices cut the potatoes into even "straw" like pieces
(I know rocket science right) 

Ok this is were it gets good, I let you in on a little Mortons Steakhouse potato trick. 



Pour salt over them and cover with cold water. Its called brining and its used to add seasoning to the inside of the potatoes and also keep them moist. Let it sit in the brine for at least a half an hour or more. Drain and pat the potatoes with paper towel to soak up the excess water.


While this is happening heat at least 2-3 inches of oil in your pan ( make sure it is deep ). Place your thermometer in the oil and allow it to heat until it reaches the potato frying temperature, 350F.

Heres the mistake I made. I was impatient with the oil heating up all the way. So I put my french fries in and soon realized I shouldn't have done that. The oil temperature was dropping fast which meant it wasn't frying at the temperature it needed to be at. I now know I should have done two batches and allowed the oil to heat to 350 F. So don't make the same mistake I did!



After you have allowed the excess oil to be drained on paper towels, pour 1 Tbsp of ranch seasoning in a brown paper bag with some salt. Add the french fries and SHAKE. Shake until the fries are evenly coated. 


These were so good! We munched them down without even thinking. In fact, I didn't even know they were gone until I reached down and realized I had eaten the last fry in the previous bite. 







giveaways





3 comments:

  1. Yummm, great photo's too. Mamajama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these would be perfect for a summer picnic! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your right Leah! We should do one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love to hear your thoughts, idea's, questions, and opinions. I reserve the right to delete any comments that are tasteless or has nothing to do with the post topic (spam).