Sunday, June 13, 2010

Easy Peasy Homemade Pesto Tutorial

Have you ever tried making homemade pesto, or even tasted fresh pesto? I had my first opportunity to taste pesto from the garden 6 years ago from a co-worker where we both worked at a garden center. She had a abundance of basil that year and decided to can it. When I first saw it I actually didn't know what it was ( silly huh!), but when I tasted it it was like a pesto party in my mouth. I soon began to dip anything I could find into the dip just so I  could continue to eat it.  I received the recipe after asking and have been enjoying it since. 


                                          
The Ingredients 

2 cups of fresh basil
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
 ( get a good kind, you will taste the difference )
1/2 of pine nuts
4 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper to taste




                                                   
Make sure you pack your basil to 2 cups

USE PINE NUTS!!!!
These are not pine nuts in case your wondering. I forgot to buy them at the store and had to use walnuts instead. Pine nuts are better.

Put it all together and BLEND!

Check out the think consistency of the pesto. Its probably best to let it sit a couple of hours in the fridge  to let the flavors marry before using. If your not going to use it right away, can it for up to 2 days. I actually can it longer, 2 days is just what the recipe says.


Heres an idea, mix 2 tbsp's of pesto with 2 tbsp's of cream to make creamy pesto salad dressing. Serve on  tea cup saucer plates for a cute presentation of a side salad. 

Make it, its easy and people will say oh la la when you bring it to a party.  

7 comments:

  1. I've neve made my own pesto but have always wanted to try! I love the stuff!
    Thanks for encouraging me to try it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy! I will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a complimentary producing recipe, everyone has raved when ever I have made it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! This looks absolutely delicious. I LOVE pesto, but I've never made it. Obviously I need to fix that. :) I just popped over to say thank you for your sweet comment on my guest post at Ucreate! And now I'm going to see what other great posts you have here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tried to make my own after reading your post. Actually was inspired to pull out the food processor and make salsa as well. The farmers market is right outside our door so I got a lot of fresh veggies yesterday. I am not sure what I did wrong but mine does not look anywhere near as good as yours:( It's pretty tasty though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rennie

    cool! At least it wasn't the other way around, where it looks good and tastes nasty!=) I bet the salsa was good too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love to hear your thoughts, idea's, questions, and opinions. I reserve the right to delete any comments that are tasteless or has nothing to do with the post topic (spam).